Following are important policies and procedures for your review. In addition to the new visitors procedures, we have also updated the parking lot to improve student safety. The parking lot on the west side of the building between the school and the modular is reserved for STAFF ONLY and is not for public use. This lot will be closed off following the arrival of staff at 7:30 AM and not reopened until 4:00 pm to prevent any movement of cars while kids are going between the building and their modular classrooms.
The parking lot will be supervised daily from 7:45-8:05 am as well as from 3:30-4:00 pm. For the safety of our students and staff, please limit cell phone usage while dropping off and picking up your student(s).
Morning Drop-off Procedures
At GVA-DC students may enter the school building at 7:45 am and proceed to their morning classroom. Classes begin promptly at 8:00 am.
Before School care - starts at 6:30 am
- Innovation Learning will care for your child if you need to drop them off before school – drop off at the back (playground) door.
Drive Through Drop-off - starts at 7:45 am
- Use all three lanes between the parking lot and the street. (Follow the solid black arrows on the map)
- Merge into one lane -show your child how to Take Turns!
- For curb-side drop-off, use the curbside lane in front of the school to drop off your student(s). Pull all the way forward to the end of the sidewalk in front of the school.
- Students are asked to exit cars on the curb side. Parents are asked to remain in their cars as staff will be available to assist students.
- Exit the parking lot by pulling out in the left lane once you have dropped off your child.
Park and Walk In
- Follow the arrows on the map to the parking lot
- For walk-up drop-off, parents and students are asked to use the crosswalk when going from the parking lot to the school.
- Parents may drop off students in front of school (Look for the Kiss and Go Zone!!) however; parents are not to walk their students to their classrooms.
- Students are considered tardy after 8:05 AM
- If the doors to the school are closed when dropping off your student, parents must enter the building to sign in their student.
Afternoon Pick-up Procedures
Parents are strongly discouraged from picking up their students from the office between 3:00 pm and 3:30 pm because it is extremely disruptive to the learning environment, unless it is an emergency or an unavoidable appointment.
- Students attending Innovation Learning after care will be dismissed from their afternoon class at 3:25 pm.
- Students enrolled in ENCORE classes will be dismissed by their pm teacher at 3:45 pm.
- All other students will be dismissed starting at 3:30, please arrive to pick up your child before 4:00
- Each family will be issued a sheet of QR codes and a family number.
- Separate codes on the sheet and distribute them to all persons who might pick up your student from school.
- Please use the physical card rather than photos of the card on your phone as they DO NOT scan well!
- When picking up your student, staff will scan your QR code. Your family number and last name will immediately be displayed in your child(ren)’s classrooms. Once displayed, teachers will dismiss students to the appropriate door.
- Enter the parking lot follow the white arrows on the map (below).
- Use the crosswalk when walking to and from the building.
- Proceed to Door A (East door on the right side of building).
- Staff located at the East door will scan your code prompting your child to be dismissed from class.
- Enter the parking lot using all three lanes between the parking lot and the street. (Follow the solid black arrows on the map below).
- Carefully merge into one lane (model for your child(ren) how to Take Turns!
- Staff located in the parking lot will scan your code while you remain in your vehicle.
- Once scanned, please pull all the way forward to the end of the sidewalk in front of the building.
- Your child will be dismissed to Door B (West doors on the Left side of the building). Please do NOT get out of your car- staff will assist students and get them safely in your car.
IF YOU LOST / DON’T HAVE YOUR QR CODE
- Please park and come in to the office and present your ID. Students will be paged to the office. A new sheet of QR codes can be printed, if needed.
- If a friend or family member is picking up your student and does not have a copy of your QR code, they should report to the front office with a picture ID. THEY MUST be listed in Infinite Campus (household or non-household relationship) in order to pick up your student.
IF YOUR QR CODE IS HAVING PROBLEMS
- Please contact Christopher Young at firstname.lastname@example.org. He will look in to the issue.
- Pick up/Drop off your child from the back (playground) door.
- Pick up your child from the instructor at 4:45 pm at the front door
Release of Students
Students will only be released to a parent/guardian or authorized pick-up person listed in Infinite Campus. GVA-DC must have written authorization from the parent or guardian to release a child to an individual not listed in Infinite Campus. Exceptions will be made for emergencies and phone authorization by the parent may be accepted after speaking with the office. Please remember to update your student’s contact information in Infinite Campus with any changes.
Late Pick Up
Parents should have a back-up plan in case they are unable to pick up their child on time.*
If a parent or an authorized person does not arrive to pick up a child by 4:00 pm (12:30 pm on early release days), staff will attempt to contact parent(s) by phone. If the staff member is unable to speak with the parent by phone, they will contact authorized person(s) listed in Infinite Campus. Students will then be escorted to Innovation Learning after school care. Parents are responsible for any fees incurred. Children will never be left unattended at the school or taken home by a staff member.
I recommend that ALL families sign-up for Innovation Learning as part of their back-up plan!!!
Dress Code Policy
Rationale for Uniforms
GVA-DC is charged with the responsibility to provide a safe, egalitarian, academically-focused environment for students. Research has shown that a school community thrives best when the dress code is simple and does not distract from the learning surroundings. To accomplish this goal GVA-DC requires unassuming, inexpensive, uniforms. This is not intended to be a burden on any family and arrangements have been made to assist those families in need. The dress code and how violations will be addressed are as follows:
Approved uniform attire
- GVA-DC logo T-shirts/ polo’s (long or short-sleeved), sweatshirts or sweaters
- Spirit wear (any GVA-DC t-shirt that is NOT a uniform shirt i.e. Fun Run Shirts, Spirit Wear with GVA Dragon logo) may be worn on Fridays only with approved uniform bottoms!
- GVA-DC approved uniform bottoms (navy blue or khaki)
- The uniform bottoms must be dress pant material. Denim jeans are unacceptable. Leggings or tights may not be worn unless under a skirt. The uniform shorts, skirts and skorts must follow the length requirements (finger-tip length).
- Sneakers are required each day.
- Students and uniforms must be neat and well-groomed.
Attire NOT permitted
- Hats/Sunglasses (only for recess)
- Baggy pants/shorts
- Ripped/torn clothing
- Low-cut, midriff shirts/blouses
- Spaghetti strap shirts/blouses
- Denim pants
- Sweat pants
- Stretch pants/leggings (unless worn under an approved dress/skirt)
- Open-toed and open-backed shoes
A HUGE thank you goes out to all of the parent volunteers who help to prepare the school and grounds for the first day of school!
On behalf of the entire staff at GVA-DC-we welcome all of our families to the 2019-2020 school year! It is sure to be the best one yet!!
Principal, GVA Douglas County