2021-22 Learning Plan: In-person for All
At GVA-DC we are committed to providing world-class K-5 education in a safe, in-person environment that promotes children’s health and well–being.
Following are revisions to our COVID-related policies based on the most recent recommendations from Douglas County School District and Tri-County Health.
Health and Safety
Face coverings are not required for any student or staff member. However, masks may be worn by those who feel more comfortable doing so.
Face coverings will not be required in any educational space or activity with the exception of field trips requiring the use of buses. Face coverings must be worn by all staff and students (regardless of vaccination status) on buses in alignment with a federal CDC mandate which is currently still in place.
- Per the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), anyone utilizing public transportation must wear a face covering at all times. This includes school buses.
COVID Immunizations are not mandatory for GVA-DC staff or students. We will continue to provide information to the community about COVID immunization opportunities as a courtesy for those who wish to access the vaccine.
Keeping Sick People Out of the Building
For 2021-22 GVA-DC will continue to ask that all students and staff complete a daily symptom check (including temperature check) at home before arriving to school. Symptoms of COVID-19 include:
- Fever of 100*f or higher
- Cough, chest tightness, difficulty breathing
- Loss of taste or smell
- Sore throat
- Muscle or body aches
Temperature monitoring of students and staff will continue to occur upon arrival using thermal imaging technology. Individuals with elevated readings will be temperature-checked by the nurse or designee. Students or staff with a temperature of 100.4 degrees or higher will be sent home.
- Quarantines of healthy/non-symptomatic students and staff will be discontinued.
- Should a student or staff member test positive for COVID, or show symptoms commonly associated with COVID, they will be asked to isolate for 10 days (unless they provide documentation of being fully vaccinated).
- The person in isolation may return if they receive a negative COVID test after day 5 of isolation.
When isolating at home, unvaccinated parents and siblings who are unable to distance themselves from the COVID positive individual must also isolate themselves. Contact your primary health provider for additional guidance.
To ensure accurate results, COVID tests must be performed at a testing center, medical office or authorized pharmacy. If testing at home, only reliable at-home test results are accepted including the Binax At-Home rapid COVID-19 test.
- Physical distancing will no longer be required at GVA-DC including in classrooms, in the cafeteria, and on the playground.
- Students will no longer be isolated by cohorts throughout the day including in the cafeteria and on the playground.
- GVA-DC will continue to encourage good hand hygiene, such as reminding students to wash hands after using the restroom, before meals, etc., and provide access to handwashing stations and hand sanitizer.
- Every classroom and office at GVA-DC is outfitted with a HEPA Filter Air Purifier with UV Light Sanitizer.
- In addition, GVA-DC’s HVAC system has been upgrading to increase its efficiency. HVAC filters are changed on a monthly basis.
Cleaning and Disinfecting
- Day Porters will clean and disinfect high-frequency touchpoints (door handles, stair railings, bottle filling stations…) and restrooms throughout the day.
- Teachers and staff will continue to have access to disinfectant supplies, including disinfecting spray, to clean high-touch areas within the classroom regularly as needed.
- Deeper cleaning and disinfecting will occur every evening and on the weekends.
- Fridays will be regular, full days of class with the exception of International Days and other special events. See the school calendar for more information.
- All in-person events including Meet the Teacher, Back-to-School Night, International Days, Conferences, etc…will be in-person.
- Face coverings will not be required during these events.
Visitors and Volunteers
- Volunteers and visitors will be permitted in schools as they were pre-COVID.
- Face coverings will not be required for visitors, however, they may wear one if they are more comfortable doing so.