Gifted and Talented
DCSD is committed to implementing equitable practices to increase access to advanced/gifted learning opportunities. Based on state and national recommendations and requirements, we implement Universal Screening for students in 2nd grade (February) and 5th or 6th grade (November)--a student's final year of elementary school.
5th/6th Grade Universal Screen
As part of this process, ALL students in grade 5 not identified for gifted programming will take the Cognitive Abilities Test (CogAT) the week of November 8-11.
- This assessment indicates the level and pattern of cognitive development of a student in comparison to grade and age mates.
- These general reasoning abilities, which start developing at birth and continue through early adulthood, are influenced by experiences gained both in and out of school.
- If your child missed their regular universal CogAT screening last year, they will be assessed during this window. This would pertain to students currently in 3rd and possibly 6th or 7th grade (depending on the last grade in elementary).
If your child is already identified for gifted programming, they will not participate in this universal screen testing. Your Gifted Education Facilitator will contact you directly with information about this process.
Gifted Identification Referral Testing
- If your child is in grades 3, 4, or 5, and you believe he/she needs evaluation for Gifted Identification and Services, you may refer your child for testing by initiating the Gifted Identification Process.
NOTE: Requesting this assessment automatically initiates the process to evaluate for Gifted Identification.
Please request CogAT testing for your child by completing the Referral for Gifted Identification linked HERE. Upon receipt of this form, the Gifted Education Facilitator will connect with you to discuss the next steps in the gifted identification process.
- DCSD Gifted Programming Website
- Formulario de recomendación para la identificación de estudiantes dotados en el DCSD - Consentimiento para la evaluación, Encuesta de padres/tutores y Encuesta de estudiantes
- Douglas County Association of Gifted and Talented (DCAGT)
- Colorado Association of Gifted and Talented (CAGT)
- National Association for Gifted Children (NAGC)
- Supporting Emotional Needs of the Gifted (SENG)
- Colorado Department of Education - Gifted Information
- Referral for the gifted identification process